Lockett Learning Systems

Lockett Learning Systems

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Every Child Deserves a Pushy Parent!

I once asked a high school teacher,
How can we get more parents involved?

His reply...
Why would we want to?!?

When my son was in school I didn't know whether to be on campus or not...especially as he reached middle and high school.  I cared, I adored him (still do!), but at that age children act embarrassed when parents are too visible.  I had been a high school teacher so I was well aware of peer pressure.  Most of my parenting at that age was done behind the scenes.  I did a good job of that, but I wish I had also been more visible on campus.

At a campus visit to train new staff, I reviewed placement folders.  I found two sets of test scores almost identical.  One child had been placed in advanced English and math classes.  The other had been placed in remedial English and basic (below grade level) math.  I hid the high placement and asked about the remedial.  The counselor gave me what could only be considered a "song and dance routine."

When he finished, I pulled out the other child's folder and said, "Can you tell me the difference between these two children?"

He glanced at the names and said, "Parental pressure."

"Thank you," I responded.  You just told me I'm doing the right thing.  I'm teaching this child's parents to be pushy!

Every child deserves a pushy parent.  If they don't have one, YOU'RE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment