Lockett Learning Systems

Lockett Learning Systems

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Grace or Consequence?

I was babysitting my two grandsons.  They were being naughty.

I warned.  I scolded.  I gave more than one time-out to each of them.

They were still naughty.

Finally, I said, "Okay.  That's it.  I had something really fun planned for this afternoon, but we're not going to do it now."

Of course, they asked for a second chance.  I reminded them they had already been given about ten second chances.

You could see their wheels turning.  After a few seconds, the older one asked,

"Grandma, do you know about grace?"

I do know about grace.  I am grateful for those life-changing gifts of grace and forgiveness.  Sometimes I make mistakes.  Sometimes I don't live up to my potential or others' expectations.  Sometimes I, too, am naughty for no good reason.  Grace and forgiveness don't excuse the behavior, but they give me the strength to face my failures and try again.

Sometimes our children need consequence.  But let consequence follow a season of abundant grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment